Jan 12, 2014

Getting to Know Myself and 2014 Goals

This quote from Elder Holland touched me. I read it on my friend Alice's blog.



I miss our life in Provo everyday, I can't be that way. We are here now, for however long we are here I need to enjoy life. I have to trust that Heavenly Father has a plan for us here. Even if we moved back to Provo, tomorrow, our life wouldn't be the same as it was. That life is gone, it was a good era in our family life, like Elder Holland says, I can learn from those experiences but I can't live in it. We had many wonderful experiences that brought us together as a family, and that helped us grow as individuals. Life was not perfect but we were happy. I have learned that there is no going home again. Life moves on and so must I. I must have faith that we are living the life that our Heavenly Father wants us to live.  Heavenly Father always has a better plan than I do. I don't know why I constantly need to learn that in my life.  Lou is so much better than I imagined my future husband when I was single. My kids came at a better time than I was planning.  Friendships have formed with people that I never expected to be friends with, Heavenly Father knows what I need better than I know for myself.

We have been in our house for over a week now. I have hardly been able to enjoy it with this blasted flu that I've had for over two weeks!  I called my Dad on Friday, it turns out he has the same flu!  With all my down time I have pondered a lot about making the most of our life. I constantly see that quote about how happy people aren't grateful but grateful people are happy. I have written down (typed) on my phone calendar things that I am grateful for everyday this new year. I have once again been writing in my journals. Recognizing my blessings makes me happy.

With all my downtime I have set a few goals for 2014

  • Do Project Life ( I have been taking pics of the little things we do and writing things down I want to remember till I get a kit)
  • Write in my journal everyday. 
  • Read everyday.
  • Make a new friend
  • Be a better friend and sister.
  • Show Lou everyday that I love him.
  • Do not take advantage of this time with the kids. Time is going by way too fast. I feel like I am a midlife parent. At age nine, Kira has an equal amount of time from when she was born till when she will be an adult. I think about that a lot. I feel more and more the need to just the enjoy the moment with the kids. 
One thing that has helped me feel happier is spending less time on social media.  I haven't tweeted or looked at twitter for a month, that is HUGE for this Jazz fan. I try to limit Facebook and Instagram to maybe once or twice a day. Too much of my communication has been on social media. I need to be better about communicating and bettering friendships in other ways like phone calls, letters and texts. I can't just assume everyone knows what is going with our family because of Facebook and Instagram. I need to make an effort to have real relationships. I struggle greatly with this but I will focus it on this year and try to be so much better at it.

Ending this blog post with an example of my grateful thoughts I record everyday. I think I'll end every post this year with what I'll call Gratitude Corner. I want to share what I am grateful for on this blog.

Gratitude Corner: 

Yesterday we ate dinner as a family. I loved sitting in our new kitchen.We talked about where we want to travel this year. We talked about the gospel, we talked about the Jazz. We shared a lot of laughs. I felt so happy to have the family I have.






4 comments:

Alice Anne said...

Awww, I'm glad that quote inspired you! I heard it quoted by someone else in the last General Conference and it stood out loud and clear to me for some reason. I love that it could mean two different things - dwelling on past mistakes & hurts or always thinking of the "good old days" and not living in the present. Either way, we can shortchange ourselves. I think your family is adorable and I love the way you talk about your kids and especially your husband. I hope your 2014 is your best year yet. :)

Unknown said...

I was beginning to worry about you since you had not been on Twitter. Glad to know things are ok except the flu. And spend as much time as you can with the children, they will be gone soon.
Have a Blessed day

Diana said...

@alice- thanks. Reading the quote again I imagine your interpretation is what he really meant. I don't know how I understood it the way I did. But hey it inspired me, so that's what counts right. I love reading about your family on your blog. You are seriously amazing to me. I love how active you are and how in control of your life you are.

@diane- I have thought a lot about what you told me a few months ago about just spending time with the kids. I am learning to appreciate the moments I have with them. I know that all too soon they will be off to college and adults.

Alyssa said...

So happy you found a wonderful quote to help you enjoy your new life changes!

And, I imagine you meant "Unhappy people aren't grateful...." and "Do take advantage of this time with the kids."? I feel the same way on the second one Diana-- it is so easy for me to just let my older kids do their own thing, because they can. I also have to make it a daily goal to spend more time with them. And when I do, I love it, of course :).

Kudos to you for limiting the social media! I'll be eagerly awaiting those phone calls/letters/texts :)>

What a great post. Loves!