Feb 23, 2014

Lets Go Fly a Kite: Finding Happiness

Growing up Mary Poppins was not one of my favorite Disney movies. I found Mary Poppins character to be cheeky, I didn't understand why everyone loved her so much, because as a child I didn't find her that nice. What I did like about Mary Poppins was the music and I loved Jane and Michael. I loved Jane and Michael so much that I wanted a family like that when I grew up. Luckily for me as a mother, I have been blessed with a daughter and a son and in that order, exactly how I wanted it, a little girl first, followed by a little boy. Kira and Josh are even close not only in age but also close as friends like Jane and Michael are in Mary Poppins.

Why am I writing about Mary Poppins? A few months ago our friends the Uffenordes let us borrow their copy of Mary Poppins. The kids were playing and they decided to watch it, we weren't able to stay long enough for them to finish it. Alyssa kindly let us borrow it. We were in the midst of moving, and it sat in a drawer unwatched. We took it with us to Boise, not on purpose but I had it with me to drop off at their house on our way out but somehow we didn't remember about it till we were a couple hours past their house. They eventually did get it when we went back to Utah for Josh's baptism. Anyways one Sunday after church we ended up watching it with the kids. I liked it a lot more watching it as an adult than I did as a child. I wasn't even afraid of the bird lady, this time around. I liked it because I was able to see that Mary Poppins was actually nicer than I remembered her but she also helped people in the way they needed to be helped, not only Jane and Michael but the adults in the movie too.

Fast forward to last night. My new friend that I met through our stake here in Boise, and I decided to go to a movie this weekend. Annie (my friend) texted me some options. Not wanting to be domineering, I chose between two of them: Saving Mr. Banks and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I was really wanting to see Saving Mr Banks, so I was thrilled when she texted back lets go see Saving Mr Banks.

I didn't really know anything about the movie except that it was about the making of Mary Poppins. I ended up loving every minute of the movie. I am not really a movie person anymore. I joke about it all the time with one of my friends, we say how we just don't have the attention span anymore, they all seem so long compared to 20 minute TV shows. This movie however kept me captivated for the entire two hours. I loved the story, I loved the music, I loved the redemption. I actually cried during a few scenes of the movie. I honestly don't think I have ever cried at a movie before. There was a beautiful scene where the screenwriters share Let's Go Fly a Kite with PL Travers (the author of Mary Poppins). It was a turning point for Travers. It was a beautiful scene, the music, the emotions, everything about it.



That scene was freeing for me. The whole movie was but in particular that scene. Like Travers I was holding onto hurt, not as dramatic or severe hurt like Travers but just things that happen in life that you tend to hold onto. You know things that happen or things that seem unfair. I have been making an effort these last months to let things go. (I know this sounds so dramatic, it is not just weaknesses and past pains).  Let's Go Fly a Kite is such a happy song, its so carefree. We all go through trials and I think they of course make us stronger, I think the greatest strength comes when we are finally able to let go, even if its just something small that takes away any of our happiness.

Happiness I believe is something people need to work to have. I know that after the kids were born and I had postpartum depression, happiness did not come easily for me. I had to make an effort every single moment of every single day to find happiness the few months after they were born. There have been times in my life when happiness comes a lot more easily than other times. Finding happiness like watching that scene of Let's Go Fly a Kite is freeing, a freedom I rather have come to enjoy. A freedom I want to experience more and more in my life.

EDIT: Alyssa sent me these cute pics of when our families went kite flying over nine years ago!  Look at Kira's cute cheeks!

I think this was during the very short period of time when we had just Kira and I wasn't yet pregnant with Josh.  




1 comment:

with Mari van Ormer said...

That is so funny, we just watched Mary Poppins last night! The songs always make me cry -- especially "Feed the Birds". And thank you for sharing your thoughts in both Sunday School and Relief Society. It was pretty clear that many, many, people struggle with things. I agree it is best to let things go that drag you down. I can't remember who it was in Conference that talked about looking up, instead of down, but I loved that thought. I'm glad to have you here in Boise, and in our ward! And don't worry, it will feel like home, it just takes some time. (It took me 2 years!)