Aug 31, 2014

Counting My Blessings as the School Year Begins


School

School started this week. The kids love their teachers. I always feel more relaxed about sending the kids to school knowing that they are happy with their teachers. We attended back-to-school night last week. I was the only one who attended the second session for Josh's class, so we were able to talk one-on-one. It was super nice. I was impressed by Josh's teacher. Josh's teacher told me how sweet and nice Josh is, how quiet and well behaved he is in class. We talked about Josh's reading and spelling struggles. We have been blessed every year to have thoughtful teachers who work hard to meet my children's individual needs. After I talked with Josh's teacher for about twenty minutes I met Lou at Kira's teacher's classroom. Kira's teacher was just finishing up his presentation to the parents, he seems like a really cool teacher. Kira likes him a lot. I talked with him about Kira being placed in gifted and talented. He said that after only three days its very obvious Kira needs to be in gifted and talented. Again I was so impressed that both Kira and Josh's teachers knew them well after three days of school and both were willing to listen to my views of their needs.











My school also started this week. I was very stressed about going to school full time and still having time and energy to be the mom and wife I desire to be. I had a class every single day and a practicum 3.5 hours a week also. I was so scared and said many prayers. I had an appointment with my academic advisor this week and found out that thanks to a class I took freshman year at BYU I didn't have to take the math class I was enrolled in this semester. It was an answer to a prayer being able to drop that class. As a second degree bachelor student I don't have to take as many classes as the other elementary education majors. I can finish in two years. There are however certain classes they require you to take even if you have a degree already. This math class was one of them. I am so happy that I randomly took a teacher's math class my freshman year at BYU, and that 18 years later it still counts. By dropping this math class I only have to be on campus Tuesdays and Thursdays. I will have more time to do my practicum without having to rush to get to campus and I will have Fridays completely free from class and practicum!  I also switched one of my classes to an online class. I had a big break on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I switched the class that was in the late afternoon to online. I feel so much better about my schedule now. Homework and studying will still be crazy busy but at least this schedule feels so much more doable.

Running/Spiritual Well Being 

Lou and I have started running. We began back in June. We have gone 3-4 times a week since we started. I absolutely love it. I never thought I would but I do. I really love the way I feel running consistently. I have also made a concerted effort to eat healthy. I feel so much trimmer and healthy. I have energy again, that I haven't had since my thyroid issues. I am doing blogilates in the morning also six days a week, its been nice making more of an effort.

Yesterday while I was running I decided I was going to think about the blessings in my life. It was a beautiful experience feeling the cool breeze, being alone, having it be so quiet, feeling the spirit. I thought of so many blessings, we have a good life.

Today in sacrament meeting we sang "The Lord is My Shepherd for the opening hymn. I love this hymn. I have had a lot of good experiences with this hymn, including one that made it clear to me that I had to serve a mission. Today while singing it the spirit overwhelmed me. I had this strong feeling of peace come over me. It felt like all my worries that I have had lately just disappear. I was so overcome with peace, visually seeing the blessings that Heavenly Father has given to me.

The Lord is good.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

So good to hear you are in a good place Diana. Sending loves!!!